[j-nsp] Juiper denial of service attacks...

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Sat Jan 10 22:09:48 EST 2004

Comparing a 6509 and a Juniper router is a somewhat interesting task.
*Very* different beasts.

While this may be entirely off-topic for the juniper-nsp list, I
thought i'd let you know a bit about the 6509 and how it does layer-3
forwarding.

The 6500 (depending on hardware configuration) can perform a few
different types of layer-3 forwarding..

Here's part of your matrix:

MFSC - MFSC (1, 2, 3)
Supervisor - Sup1, Sup1A, Sup2, Sup3 (aka sup720)
PFC - PFC, PFC2, PFC3A, PFC3B (not sure if it's released yet)

There are also some linecard features available, including:
DFC (distributed feature card) and a PoE choice for those that are
using rj-45 or rj-21 connectors to the stations/endpoints.

The 6500 does MLS (multi layered switching) in most configurations.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/
products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008019f026.html

provides some information on MLS for you.  This varies between sup
revisions as well.

here's some documents on the mls for the sup1 and sup2:

sup1:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/
products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007f49e.html
sup2:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/121_8aex/
swconfig/cef.htm

If you have more detailed questions about the cat6k performance as a
layer-3 router you might want to ask on the cisco-nsp list.

	- Jared