[j-nsp] M-series 802.3ad one-to-many....?

Erik Haagsman erik at we-dare.net
Wed Jan 28 23:10:59 EST 2004

Hi All,

I'm wondering if it's possible to have a layer-2 switch run 802.3ad
aggregation with two GigE links running to two separate Juniper routers.
I've seen a few one-to-many 802.3ad applications, but sofar impossible
to implement in a multi-vendor network.
I'm looking for a way to have two separate M-series routers to both
exchange traffic with a single layer-2 switch running 802.3ad link
aggregation, with GigE links going to both routers from the single
switch.

The point here is not to have the J-boxes relay the traffic at layer-2
as a transit node onto another router or switch. I'd like to  configure
both M-series with identical 802.1q tagged VLANs and identical GigE unit
IPv4 addresses on both routers.
>From the switch's perspective this shouldn't cause any problems, apart
from the fact that since the J-boxes will both only have a single link
of the trunk connected to them,  LACP problems will probably arise,
unless there's a cunning trick to prevent it.

This might sound a bit far-fetched, but I need a VRRP look-alike, that
scales well beyond 255 VRID's without the luxury of running MPLS on the
switch side and preferrable without having to split up the Junipers in
different logical routers.

Cheers,

--
---