[j-nsp] Juniper FBF

Mellott, Eric mellotte at netcsc.com
Fri Jul 23 08:51:28 EDT 2004

Having a filter-based forwarding problem....I have setup the appropriate
routing-instance and firewall filters, but my traffic is not being
forwarded out to the specified next hop.  The specified next-hop is
reachable and in table.  Below is a copy of a test configuration that I
have been working on.  As you can see from the configuration below, I am
trying to redirect a packet (source of 144.251.1.1 and destination of
2.11.100.11) coming into interface fe-1/1/0 out interface fe-1/1/2.  It
just so happens that the network that 2.11.100.11 belongs to is directly
connected to interface fe-1/1/1.  I have set up firewall counters to see
where my hits are taking place.

When I try to test this configuration, I see hits on my INT_IN counter
but no where else.  It seems the packets make it to the router and then
die.  With further testing, I can connect a host to the fe-1/1/1
interface that has the ip address of 2.11.100.11.  When this is done the
router will arp for 2.11.100.11 and forward the packet out the fe-1/1/1
interface and my TEST-OUT counter will register the hit.

I guess my problem is that I don't want the router to arp for
2.11.100.11, I want it to use the FBF and forward the packet out
interface fe-1/1/2 to 20.20.20.2.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated!

Thank you,

Eric

Interfaces:

   fe-1/1/0 {

        unit 0 {

            family inet {

                filter {

                    input INT_IN;

                }

                address 144.251.0.1/16;

            }

        }

    }

    fe-1/1/1 {

        unit 0 {

            family inet {

                filter {

                    output TEST-OUT;

                }

                address 2.11.100.101/16;

            }

        }

    }

    fe-1/1/2 {

        unit 0 {

            family inet {

                filter {

                    input IF-COUNT-IN;

                    output IF-COUNT-OUT;

                }

                address 20.20.20.1/24;

            }

        }

    }

Routing-options:

routing-options {

    interface-routes {

        rib-group inet VPN-group;

    }

    rib-groups {

        VPN-group {

            import-rib [ inet.0 IF-route-table.inet.0 ];

        }

    }

Firewall

  family inet {