[j-nsp] L2 VPN question

Martin Mogensen martin.mogensen at dante.org.uk
Fri Jul 30 10:48:01 EDT 2004

Miguel Angel Sotos wrote:

> Hi all,
> 	we are configuring some L2VPN stuff in Juniper routers.
>
> There's a POS interface between PE end CE.
> Can we use (we are using Martini) in the same POS interface,
> *-ccc encapsulation and other type of encapsulations that permits
> familiy inet ??
> In that case, which one?
>
> Or, have I to use the whole interface for ccc based VPNs??
> (and not IP traffic)??
>
> At the end, what i want to do is to use
> at the same time L2 circuits and L3 family inet traffic in the same interface.
>
> Is it possible? or maybe i'm conceptually wrong.....

We have deployed this type of Martini layer 2 circuits with both IP and
layer2 circuit terminations on the same physical interface towards a CE,
but we have only used GE/10GE interfaces and vlan-ccc encapsulation so
far. Using POS interfaces is more tricky.

In order to run both IP traffic and to terminate one or more layer2
circuit on the same physical interface you need to use an encapsulation
type that support the use of more than one unit (subinterface) on the
physical interface. You can then use one unit for IP and one or more to
units for CCC to enable layer2 circuit terminations towards the CE.

Note that there are limitations on which unit numbers you can use with
CCC - some units will be reserved when you apply *-ccc encapsulatiom on
the physical interface:
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos61/feature-guide-61/html/fg-l2circuit6.html

For POS, you should be able to use frame-relay-ccc encapsulation to
acheive what you need if you would like to go that way.
/martin