[j-nsp] Weird traceroute across MPLS core using labeled-unicast IBGP

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Sat Jul 31 20:00:16 EDT 2004

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 02:38:37PM -0800, Pedro Roque Marques wrote:
> dr at cluenet.de (Daniel Roesen) writes:
>
> > This is the basic misunderstanding. so-0/2/0 is NOT in a VRF, it's
> > simply a non-VPN interface. But as I have only the choice of running
> > EITHER "family unicast" OR "family labeled-unicast", the D PE will
> > always assign a VPN MPLS label to the route. Ideally, I would like to
> > see VPN labels attached ONLY to routes within L3VPN VRFs, NOT to
> > other routes which get advertised via IBGP.
> >

>             family (inet | inet6 | inet-vpn | l2-vpn) {
> 		[...]
>
>                 labeled-unicast {
>
> 		    [...]
>                     rib inet.3;		<====
>
>                 }
>             }
> http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos61/swconfig61-routing/html/bgp-summary41.html
>
>  Description
>
> You can allow both labeled and unlabeled routes to be exchanged in a single session. The labeled routes are placed in the inet.3 routing table, and both labeled and unlabeled unicast routes can be sent or received by the router.

Hm... I've now seperated v4 and v6 NRLI into seperate IBGP sessions
using v4 transport for v4 NLRI and v6 transport for v6 NLRI. To do this,
I've copied the ibgp-mesh-v4 mesh group to ibgp-mesh-v6, an deleted the
inet6 and inet6-vpn families from the -v4 group, and deleted all but
those two in the -v6 group.

I've expected stuff to "just work" but I got two problems:

group ibgp-mesh-v6 {
    family inet6 {
        unicast;
        multicast;
        labeled-unicast {
            explicit-null;
        }
    }
}

gets rejected with "peer cannot have both unicast and labeled-unicast
nlri". Why did this work when the neighbor IPs were IPv4? There is no
"set family inet6 labeled-unicast rib inet6.3" to fix that problem.

Second problem:

    family inet6-vpn {
        any;
    }

gets rejected with "only IPv6 NLRI are allowed with an IPv6 neighbor".

I guess both problems have to do with the non-existence of native IPv6
MPLS support (LDP, RSVP) somehow?

Best regards,
Daniel