[j-nsp] VRRP question

Erik Haagsman erik at we-dare.net
Tue Jun 15 11:01:36 EDT 2004

Hi all,

We're currently still running JunOS 6.0R1.6 and are on the virge of
upgrading all our boxes to 6.3. But does anyone know if 6.3 still
prevents running multiple VRRP Master's from different VRIDs on the same
physical interface...?
This has been a pain in the past, requiring us to "cheat" by only
creating backup routers without putting a Master in the VRID so the
backup with the highest priority takes control of the Master's IP
address, since JunOS does allow multiple backup routers on the same
physical interface.

I've wondered about this limitation, since you'd assume that when a
physical link goes down, you'd want all VRIDs on that link to fail-over
to the back-up path, so I don't really see the point in this limitation,
and the above work-around also has some side effects like not being able
to ping the gateway and such.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

--
---
Erik Haagsman