[j-nsp] Weird traceroute across MPLS core using labeled-unicast IBGP

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Mon Mar 8 07:37:43 EST 2004

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 11:59:40AM +0100, Josef Buchsteiner wrote:
>        this  is  coming from the fact that for local generated traffic
>        we  put  TTL=255  in  the outermost label which is what you see
>        here.  This  is an artifact from the old FPC where we could not
>        write  into  the  second  label and on EFPC and onwards we can.
>        Corrected  since  a few days, we check now what hardware we have
>        underneath  and set the TTL and EXP values accordingly during a
>        double push  operation. Again this is only for local generated
>        traffic aka ping, traceroute and others in case of a double-push
>
>        hope this helps

It does. Thanks for the explanation.

I wanted to look at the generated packets, but was unable to see them
with "monitor traffic"/tcpdump. Expected?

And btw2... "monitor traffic" and "tcpdump" (without arguments) doesn't
work in JunOS 6.2R1.5 as it references fxp0.0. I had to use
"tcpdump -i fxp0" (note the missing .0) or "monitor traffic interface
fxp0" to see any traffic on fxp0 at all.

Best regards,
Daniel