[j-nsp] snapshot problem with just hard drive config

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Thu Mar 11 20:58:22 EST 2004

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 03:30:48AM +0200, LOM wrote:
> I have a M7i with an only disk drive , there is no flash card.
>
> When I request a system snapshot it says :
> ----
> rasmus at edi> request system snapshot
> Snapshot requires two pieces of storage media.
> error: This is a hard disk only configuration, snapshot not supported.
> -----

Uh? Juniper sells those boxes without flash?

> I know that snapshot is just copying "/" to "altroot/ and also "/config"
> "/altconfig" , am I wrong ?

If running on flash, it mounts harddisk partitions as /altroot and
/altconfig and copies the flash content into those.

> Why it need 2 pieces of storage media?

Because otherwise there is not too much sense in snapshots. For configs
you have rollback, for software jinstall/jbundle.

Snapshots are primarily a tool to protect you from media failure.
And given what I've seen happened to some few-years old M5/M10 REs,
it's a very good reason.

> Is there a way that I can get snapshot ?

Probably not.

Best regards,
Daniel