[j-nsp] JunOS doesn't support IPv6 LDP?

Josef Buchsteiner josefb at juniper.net
Sun Mar 14 02:48:53 EST 2004

Sunday, March 7, 2004, 1:46:37 PM, you wrote:

DR> On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 08:51:21AM +0100, Josef Buchsteiner wrote:
>> What you would request here is ipv6 LDP hellos, neighbor and
>> sessionrelationship which is not implemented yet.

DR> Not necessarily. It would be enough (for me) if JunOS would simply
DR> flood labels for IPv6 routes/FECs by using the usual AFI-aware TLVs
DR> as described in the LDP spec RFC3036. I'm not looking for "IPv6
DR> transport" for LDP (although the LDP spec clearly supports v6
DR> transport).

I do not believe this is  that simple. Each FEC has a next-hop to get
installed in the FIB and the next-hops are associated with the session
but those are ipv4 and and not ipv6 so that won't work.

<-- here in RFC3036 why you need to be in common here.

2.7. LDP Identifiers and Next Hop Addresses

   An LSR maintains learned labels in a Label Information Base (LIB).
   When operating in Downstream Unsolicited mode, the LIB entry for an
   address prefix associates a collection of (LDP Identifier, label)
   pairs with the prefix, one such pair for each peer advertising a
   label for the prefix.

   When the next hop for a prefix changes the LSR must retrieve the
   label advertised by the new next hop from the LIB for use in
   forwarding.  To retrieve the label the LSR must be able to map the
   next hop address for the prefix to an LDP Identifier.

   Similarly, when the LSR learns a label for a prefix from an LDP peer,
   it must be able to determine whether that peer is currently a next
   hop for the prefix to determine whether it needs to start using the
   newly learned label when forwarding packets that match the prefix.
   To make that decision the LSR must be able to map an LDP Identifier
   to the peer's addresses to check whether any are a next hop for the
   prefix.

   To enable LSRs to map between a peer LDP identifier and the peer's
   addresses, LSRs advertise their addresses using LDP Address and
   Withdraw Address messages.

   An LSR sends an Address message to advertise its addresses to a peer.
   An LSR sends a Withdraw Address message to withdraw previously
   advertised addresses from a peer

DR> 6PE is such a hack... :-)

    anyway, if you are looking for ipv6 LDP please contact your Sales
    Rep. and file an Enhancement Request.

    thanks
    Josef