[j-nsp] as-path-prepend-nerf

Jeff Wheeler jeff at reflected.net
Fri Mar 19 02:51:00 EST 2004

This may sound stupid at first, but for years I have wondered why
vendors don't offer the ability to condense as-path prepending seen on
learnt routes.  For example, I learn..:
                      AS path: 4436 8001 27257 27257 27257 27257 I

I'd like to set as-path-prepend-nerf 1 and allow unique ASNs to appear
only once consecutively in a learnt path.  The action performed would be
to convert the above path to "4436 8001 27257 I."  Is this crazy?  I do
not see how this action could introduce loops.

It'd be nice to have a way to match prepending of various degrees as
well, for example if I saw the same AS repeated N times in a path, I
might care to tweak my local-preference down on that path.  I don't know
how to do this using today's tools (is it possible).  With JunOS
add/subtract to local-pref, this would be a nice feature addition.

--
Jeff at Reflected Networks