[j-nsp] SCB Utilization Threshold?

Erik Haagsman erik at we-dare.net
Tue Mar 23 17:14:50 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 22:46, Jeff Wheeler wrote:
> The "CPU utilization" value shown for the FEB, SSB, SCB, or SFM is for
> the exception processor, which does not handle most transit traffic.  It
> gets involved in special cases that were probably not practical to
> implement on ASIC, such as IP options, which are very rarely used.

This is good info to have. I knew traffic and routing decisions gets
handled by the ASIC's and RE and not the SCB, SFM etc. but do you have
any idea if/what the SCB/SFM's role is in scenarios where flows are
captured and exported at a pretty high rate without a monitoring PIC...?

I've seen strange things happen to SCB/SFM levels while there was no
actual reason apart from capturing/exporting flows (which I thought had
nothing to do with the SCB/SFM).

Or could it haven been firewall filters scanning for certain IP option
fields that yanked the SCB/SFM up high (over 60%)...?

Cheers,

--
---
Erik Haagsman