[j-nsp] JUNOS 6.2 and unsupported PIC combinations in one FPC

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Tue Mar 30 14:20:34 EST 2004

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Piotr Marecki wrote:
> This thing is scary.I mean , let suppose that in junos 6.x  ( where x>2) we
> need E-E-FPC ( enhanced-enhanced-FPC , or E^2-FPC :)) to
> support 2 Q-GE's pic's and ATM2 . So , "we are doing everything at wire
> speed" .... as long as you use version < 6.x ( which will be of course not
> longer supported due to fast life cycle in junos ).Scary...

If you look at the note in detail, you can conclude that the problem
is the length of microcode, not really being able to do wire-speed
processing.

I suspect earlier than JunOS 6.2 is also more or less affected, and
this was just a problem that was noted now.  JunOS 6.2 would just add
checks to prevent this.