[j-nsp] How to upgrade M20 RE's with least downtime

Harry Reynolds harry at juniper.net
Fri Nov 12 18:27:33 EST 2004

*If* this is within a major version, I have heard that you can get great
results by:

1. Enable Graceful restart to minimize/eliminate forwarding plane
disruption

2. Upgrade backup RE

3. Manually switch (here is where graceful restart comes in)

4. Upgrade primary RE

5. If step 3 worked well, switch back

HTHs. Please note Juniper does not claim support for hitless upgrades,
but this procedure has been known to result in pretty much that. All
bets are off if you are crossing major JUNOS software revisions. You
also need to enable graceful restart on peer nodes for it to buy you
anything.