[j-nsp] packet sampling does not export any data, why?

Kisito Nguene Ndoum kisito at juniper.net
Thu Nov 18 09:28:18 EST 2004

Hi Joe,

Please try the following steps :

1- Check log messages for errors at commit time
(show log messages or archived files .gz )

2- Check hardware ( must have Internet Processor II )
( show chassis hardware | match SPR )

3- Verify that firewall counter ("sj" in your configuration) is working
( show firewall )

4- If hardware is IP-II and have no error after commit, add "local-dump" to
debug
the formatting/sending of the cflowd records
( set forwarding-options output cflowd 10.13.61.2 local-dump )
Remove that debug statement when troubleshooting is complete.

5- Start monitoring sampled log file -- cflowd records or errors should be
displayed as they are generated
( monitor start sampled )

6- Generate transit traffic to get some cflowd records ( statistical
sampling is only effective for transit traffic )

7- If still not working, here, try with output to file instead of cflowd
collector, and redo steps 5- and 6-
( set forwarding-options output file xxxx )

8- If still not working at this stage, restart the sampling process
( restart sampling immediately )

9- If still not there, open a case with JTAC :-)

Hope this helps,
- Kisito