[j-nsp] Force SFMs to stay offline

Fouant, Stefan stefan.fouant at mci.com
Fri Nov 19 12:25:11 EST 2004

On 19.11.2004 02:10:07 +0000, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> Is there a way to force an SFM to stay offline (say for example when the
> RAM starts to go bad and generate ECC errors for days, or until you send a

> tech out to pull the card)? It seems that if you disable it through
> "request chassis sfm slot <#> offline", it will automatically turn them
> all back on after you commit any config change.

Try configuring the sfm statement with the "always" option for the working
SFM at the [edit chassis redundancy] hierarchy level:

[edit chassis redundancy]

sfm slot-number (always | preferred);

slot-number can be 0 or 1.

always defines the SFM as the sole device.

I'm thinking that should define the working SFM as the only available SFM to
the chassis.  Good luck,

Stefan Fouant

Senior Network Engineer

UUNET / MCI