[j-nsp] out-lynxed

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Sep 14 19:11:51 EDT 2004

often, i operate remotely, and hence can not do a lot of tricks
using datacenter, i.e. well-connected, hosts.

  o some router i want to upgrade is in a remote pop

  o i am personally on a dsl line (read "slow") a few thousand
    kilometers away on hawaii

  o so i don't want to use galeon/mozilla to download the image
    to my desk/laptop to then push it back over the same dsl
    line to the router

  o there are perfectly nice headless freebsd boxes right next
    to the router, with gige to multiple stm-Xs to the net.

  o so i run lynx on one of those boxes to fetch the software
    from your site

except i can no longer do this.  and, in case 2004-0912-0025,
jtac tells me that "IT says we do not support Lynx. All our
servers use standard coded browsers and that is all they will
support now. Sorry for the inconvenience."

how do others work in this kind of situation?  any trix?

randy