[j-nsp] v6-in-v4 tunnels without tunnel PIC?

Joe Abley jabley at isc.org
Wed Sep 22 23:12:39 EDT 2004

We have a potential partner who is insisting to us that with recent
JUNOS loads it is possible to terminate a v6-in-v4 tunnel on an
M-series Juniper router which has no tunnel PIC in it.

I'm well aware of how the forwarding path works in M-series routers,
and why a tunnel PIC is required to perform encapsulation. We have
tunnel PICs installed in every site we have Juniper routers, and we
have used them in production for years.

However, this particular guy is very insistent, and he's not talking
about the M*is with the built-in adaptive service blinkenlights.

Is there some recent JUNOS feature that I'm not aware of that allows
low-bandwidth v6-in-v4 tunnels to be terminated on a common-or-garden
M-something without a tunnel PIC?

Joe