[j-nsp] Juniper -> FreeBSD IPv6 tunnel

Paul Connally pconnally at utdallas.edu
Fri Apr 1 16:48:50 EST 2005

I cannot figure out how to make an IPv6 in IPv4 tunnel between a Juniper
router and FreeBSD box work.  Followed the advice on Juniper techpubs as
far as how to set up an IPv6 in IPv4 tunnel between two Juniper's, and
the standard FreeBSD gif tunnel stuff, and cannot get em to play nice.

Here's what I've tried setting up thus far (I've got an Adaptive
Services-II PIC, so tunnelling should work):

IP addresses sanitized...

Juniper router
---------------

 > show configuration interfaces gr-2/1/0
/* Test IPv6 Tunnel*/
unit 0 {
     tunnel {
         source <Juniper local IPv4 address>;
         destination <FreeBSD remote IPv4 address>;
     }
     family inet6 {
         address <IPv6 Address::1>/64;
     }
}

FreeBSD box:
-------------

# ifconfig gif0 create
# ifconfig gif0 tunnel <FreeBSD IPv4 local> <Juniper IPv4 remote>
# ifconfig gif0 inet6 <IPv6 address::2> prefixlen 64

# ifconfig -a
fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
         inet <FreeBSD local> netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast <removed>
         inet6 fe80::2a0:c9ff:fe67:8fc3%fxp0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
         ether 00:a0:c9:67:8f:c3
         status: active

gif0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
         tunnel inet <FreeBSD> --> <Juniper>
         inet6 <IPv6 address::2> prefixlen 64
         inet6 fe80::201:3ff:fe2c:2b1b%gif0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x9

Still, from either side, neither IPv6 address can ping the other.
Regular, non-tunnelled IPv4 traffic between the Juniper and FreeBSD box
works fine; both sides can ping each other.  Any ideas?