[j-nsp] Building custom route tables from VRF's

Gordon Smith gsmith at wxc.co.nz
Thu Apr 7 21:56:51 EDT 2005

> Your description is not clear to me...
>
> what do you mean by A - B "routes" ? route is a rather ambiguous term.
>
> Do you mean that if for a given prefix you have a path from A
> and a path from B, you want this not to be included ?
>
> e.g. if in a table you have....
>
>      10.0.1/24 via {A, B}
>      10.0.2/24 via A
>      10.0.3/24 via B
>
> do you mean that you want only the second prefix ? or is it
> something else ?
>
> If you want to get the 2nd prefix in the example above, what
> is the path that you prefer in the original table ? A or B... ?
>
> if in the original table you prefer A, then you can import
> this to another table via a rib-group where you modify the
> local-pref such that B is preferred. Make this a VRF and in
> its VRF export policy reject path that where received via B.
>
> i.e. only active routes are exported from a VRF... this is a
> way to acomplish your (A - B) logic... if i understood what you mean.

Hi Pedro,

What I'm trying to achieve is what you had i.e.
I learn these routes via BGP:

10.0.1/24 via {A, B}
10.0.2/24 via A
10.0.3/24 via B

And what I want to do is take the routes learned from peer A, subtract
the routes learned from peer B, then export to a new inet table.

I've seen some examples on using community-based filters, but that does
seem like overkill for what I'm trying to achieve.
I could do it if I could dynamically construct a route-filter from one
table and apply it against the second, but I don't think that's
possible.

Both peers are in virtual-router VRF's at the moment.