[j-nsp] Multicast config in ERX-310

Terje Krogdahl terje at krogdahl.net
Tue Apr 19 16:47:40 EDT 2005

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 10:29:51PM +0200, Fredrik Jansson wrote:
> server (i.e. PC with VLC) which is connected to one of the interfaces.
> Shouldn't I see a (S,G) pair then when issuing an 'show ip mroute'
> command?

I haven't tried this on an E-series, but I've been bitten by the fact that
VLC (from the GUI) by default sends its multicast packets with TTL=1. Since
the router (a Cisco in my case) could not forward the packet anyway, the
(S,G) state was not installed. Using the --ttl=12 (or whatever) parameter
from the CLI solved the issue for me. This is using VLC 0.8.1 on Linux.

--
Terje Krogdahl

  All roads lead to Rome
     - A clearly confused router (R. Perlman)