[j-nsp] Latency FastEthernet & Testing with Anritsu, Agilent, SmartBits

McCoy, Chris Chris.McCoy at spirentcom.com
Thu Apr 28 10:01:10 EDT 2005

Hi Alex,

  I happen to work for Spirent, so I can't speak for the other companies.
SmartBits uses "LILO" (last in-last out) measurement for latency.  The
timestamp that is inserted at the end of the frame is based on the last bit
of the frame that egresses the test port and by the same token, the
timestamp is noted when the last bit of the frame enters another test port.
It then computes the difference.  Some companies use FIFO or LIFO (see
RFC-1242 section 3.8).  This could be the source of your inconsistent
results.

Chris M.