[j-nsp] junos vrrp and ucarp interoperability

Saku Ytti saku+juniper-nsp at ytti.fi
Mon Aug 15 11:29:31 EDT 2005

On (2005-08-15 15:13 +0000), Marco Hogewoning wrote:

> and VRRP on the same network. Our plan is to crossconnect 2 carp speaking
> boxes (OpenBSD) and 2 M-series, using VRRP and CARP on the same ethernet
> to build a failover situation.
>
> Any pointers to these problems, test results or pitfalls when configuring
> it are welcome.

 Please summarize on the list what you find out. I recognize that core
OpenBSD folks have more clues than I'll ever have, but I'm really annoyed
how childishly they behave, instead of writing draft describing CARP
and getting protocol number from IANA, you have to read CARP source
and fear the setup you've explained above.
 To more describe the anti-social behaviour they said they've chosen
protocol number not used by any relevant protocol, sigh.

 With apologies to the OpenBSD community, not all of them can possibly
share this kind of mental state.

--
  ++ytti