[j-nsp] junos vrrp and ucarp interoperability

ProServe - Peter Batenburg peter at proserve.nl
Mon Aug 15 11:45:45 EDT 2005

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Marco Hogewoning wrote:

> Does anybody here has some experience with running CARP (http://www.ucarp.org/)
> and VRRP on the same network. Our plan is to crossconnect 2 carp speaking
> boxes (OpenBSD) and 2 M-series, using VRRP and CARP on the same ethernet
> to build a failover situation.
> Earlier IAB meetings suggest that there might be parameter clashes between
> the 2 protocols.
> Any pointers to these problems, test results or pitfalls when configuring
> it are welcome.

The thing you have to keep in mind is, that CARP is built on the same
specs as VRRP (AFAIK).
The problem we had after a customer connected 2 boxes with CARP, was that
CARP used the same virtual MAC as our 2 Junipers used for the virtual VRRP
IP address. I don't know how the configuration of CARP works, but we
resolved it by using a higher vrrp-group number. This makes the virtual MAC
different then the CARP one.
Other than that, we had no problems with CARP and VRRP setups.

--
  /-    Met vriendelijke groet/With kind regards,    -\
<- Peter Batenburg - ProServe B.V. - www.proserve.nl ->