[j-nsp] High failure rates for M7i/M10i hard disks?

Hyunseog Ryu r.hyunseog at ieee.org
Mon Aug 22 16:59:04 EDT 2005

I have M10s and M20s, but never run into this kind of problem.
But potentially running IDE HDD for 24X7 may cause the hard disk bad.
Can Juiper consider IDE RAID 1 with dual hot-swap capable HDDs for new RE?
I would like to keep HDD based operation  because it gives more tools
right from the routers.
But there is already solution out there for hard disk failure.
Juniper uses laptop hard disk, and I'm not sure IDE RAID controller can
support laptop HDD for hot-swap feature.
But it seems Juniper needs this kind of feature for smooth transition
from bad hard disk to new hard disk anyway.

Hyun