[j-nsp] n00b networking question

josh junipertech at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 02:50:32 EDT 2005

hey all,

this might be the wrong list to ask such a question.

i have a n00b question i am trying to understand.

i am seeing different results with ping and mtr via router X.
but via router Y, everything seems good.

if i do ping, i dont see any packet loss.
on the other hand when i try mtr, i am seeing packet loss.
users dont complain, so i assume everything is good.

i have the updated and correct versions of ping and mtr.
also.

could this be a problem with my configurations on the router ?
can tracroute packets be blocked packets ?
also whats a better tool to test packet losses, folks tell me mtr uses
UDP and its not reliable ?

thanks,
--josh