[j-nsp] High failure rates for M7i/M10i hard disks?

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Fri Aug 26 16:33:16 EDT 2005

> > And that field alert is now out: PSN-2005-08-014
> >
> > https://www.juniper.net/alerts/viewalert.jsp?actionBtn=Search&txtAlertNumber=PSN-2005-08-014&viewMode=view
>
> I hope they're not actually saying that the hard drive can't handle being
> written to every 10 secs?

I'm not going to defend Juniper here - I think we have suffered quite
enough of these disk problems (got woken by a phone call from our NOC
this morning - *another* M7i had stopped working during the night, from
the same problem).

However, I *think* what they're saying is that writes every 10 seconds
for a while is not a problem, but writes every 10 seconds 24x7 may be a
problem. Remember what the disk manufacturers have been trying to tell
us - there are differences between disks made for heavy-duty server use
(typically SCSI) and disks made for PC/home use (typically ATA). The
M7i/M10i disks are 2.5" ATA disks (laptop type disks) and are probably
not made for continuous use.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no