[j-nsp] High failure rates for M7i/M10i hard disks?

Joe McGuckin joe at via.net
Fri Aug 26 17:14:12 EDT 2005

It seems like this was an ill-advised attempt to lower the manufacturing
cost of the RE.

However, for the price they charge for the RE ($15,000 list price for
compact PCI cpu card that probably cost them no more than $2500), one would
certainly think that Juniper would specify 'industrial' or 'server' quality
components. I hope we're not going to see further reliability issues because
some purchasing manager decided to save $20 by specifying other components
that were designed with a lifetime 5% or 10% duty-cycle.

Joe

--

Joe McGuckin

ViaNet Communications