[j-nsp] High failure rates for M7i/M10i hard disks?

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Sun Aug 28 15:10:41 EDT 2005

--On August 26, 2005 3:55:35 PM -0400 Richard A Steenbergen
<ras at e-gerbil.net> wrote:

> I hope they're not actually saying that the hard drive can't handle being
> written to every 10 secs?

I think what they're not saying is more important.  Likely this relates to
SMART and the automatic periodic SMART tests, so they've probably
improperly implemented some portion of SMART and rather than fix that, they
are doing this.  That said, I've never seen this sort of problem on any
system I've ever built, including embedded systems that had custom ASICs or
FPGAs running SMART enabled HDDs.  Atleast not yet anyway so...it does
sound like something that Juniper has implemented very incorrectly.