[j-nsp] High failure rates for M7i/M10i hard disks?

Richard Gross rich at vel.net
Mon Aug 29 17:57:35 EDT 2005

Wouldn't a hard drive handle reads/writes to /var/log better than a
Compact Flash device?

I mean, on my M7i I have:

ad0: 244MB <SanDisk SDCFB-256> [695/15/48] at ata0-master PIO4
ad1: 19077MB <HTS548020M9AT00> [38760/16/63] at ata0-slave UDMA33

and the router boots off ad0:

I'm assuming the live file system is on ad0: since that is the boot
device.

My question is if the router is writing to the Compact Flash every 10
seconds 24x7, how long will a Compact Flash work before breaking?

I know I'm missing something so I'm sure I will be enlightened
shortly...

Thanks.
								richg