[j-nsp] Monitor Services PIC and M20

Roberts, Michael J. (IATS) RobertsMJ at missouri.edu
Mon Dec 5 15:48:53 EST 2005

We have the need to analyze flows going in and out of our campus and
start billing for users that are using too much bandwidth.  We have not
yet decided what too much is yet, so please do not ask.

We have an RMON probe setup behind our M20, but we are having a really
hard time getting accurate information out of it.  I started thinking
about possibly installing a monitor services PIC inside our M20 and
export flow records from it.  We need to be able to identify top
talkers.  But we also need to keep records on individual IP addresses.
We also have the need to track contiguous ranges of IP addresses for
aggregate billing.  The router does not handle more than a couple
hundred Mb/s, and the records would need to be very accurate.

We use Infovista for our reporting application, and we would like to
export records to it.  I know we would need to purchase a plug-in, but I
really wanted to see if anyone has already tried this combination.  I
would like to have an off-list conversation with someone that has
experience with this.   If Infovista is not the appropriate collector
app to use, I would be willing to entertain options.  Thx.

-mike