[j-nsp] Auto bandwidth LSPs

Sailendra Mahanty sail at juniper.net
Tue Feb 1 08:25:14 EST 2005

Hi Jerome,

We have two variables, avg_bw_usage and max_avg_bw_usage.
At every 'x sec' interval, we calculate avg_bw_usage for every lsp since
the last computation (before x secs).
We maintain max_avg_bw_usage for every lsp which is the highest ever
recorded avg_bw_usage for this lsp. After every 'x secs' avg_bw_usage is
reset to zero.
This x value is configured globally for all lsps. This 'x sec' is same
as the mpls stat interval with a default of 300 secs. You can check this
with help of log which look like :

"Nov 29 08:29:09 2004 UTC Total 1 sessions: 1 success, 0 fail, 0 ignored
lsp-test 230111628 pkt 14727144192 Byte 0 pps 0 Bps Util 0.00% "

The above calculated max_avg_bw_lsp for each lsp is used to adjust the
lsp BW at a particular interval (configurable per lsp) with a default
value of 24 Hrs you have referred to.  This we call 'adjust interval'
and is configurable per lsp. We also show the time remaining for adjust
interval as shown below.

"Max AvgBW util: 0bps, Bandwidth Adjustment in 26 second(s)"

If the max_avg_bw_lsp for a lsp is different from the existing BW of
lsp, then we try to adjust the lsp BW. If successful earlier bw is
released and the value of max_avg_bw_lsp is reset to zero. This is only
maintained for active lsp since traffic flows through active lsp.

In your output

AdjustTimer: 86400 secs <<< 24 Hours >>>
Max AvgBW util: 73.294Mbps, Bandwidth Adjustment in 52423 second(s). <<<
52423 second remaining for next adjustment >>>

thanks,
-sail