[j-nsp] Multicast with L2TP on ERX's

Craig Whitmore lennon at orcon.net.nz
Fri Feb 25 22:27:22 EST 2005

Hi there.

I am trying to get Multicast going over L2TP sessions terminating on an ERX.
The L2TP works 100% (we have many customers connected at the moment). They
are all DSL connections with DSL Modems/Routers etc.

I send back via Radius ERX-Igmp-Enable = enable which should enable IGMP
(which it does) (shown via show ip igmp interface.),  I can see it sending
IGMP messages, but none ever are shown as received. (I am sending them from
the other end which is a DSL connection (say on an Alcatel Speedtouch
Router)

I think the problem is the DSL Routers on the other end don't do IGMP
Proxing properly (but most have that "feature" noted in their specs but give
no information on it. How to turn it on/off/debug or alike. Or even if they
suppose multicast groups etc.

Has anyone got Multicast enabled for L2TP users on the ERX? (any examples ?
I cannot find any)

I know how 100% to do the LAN side with MBGP/PIM etc (see
http://www.mbone.net.nz)

Thanks
Craig