[j-nsp] Multiple routing instances

Adam Rothschild asr at latency.net
Sun Jan 23 18:29:34 EST 2005

Hello,

Does anybody have some hard numbers concerning route scaling with
multiple routing instances?

My intended application is reasonably straightforward.  Basically, I'd
like to maintain multiple "forwarding" routing-instances, containing
an import of the master RIB, but with different sets of localprefs,
metrics, etc applied to BGP-sourced routes.  And then, apply firewalls
on various customer-facing interfaces to punt ingress traffic into
these different RIBs.  (In a nutshell, apply performance- and cost-
based classes of service to varying "tiers" of transit customers.)

I'm operating under the assumption that, depending on how this is
implemented, and if I'm importing full tables from the "master" RIB,
it's possible to double (or triple, quadruple, etc) FIB consumption
and so on, which could ultimately cause the PFE to blow up and bad
things to happen... but I'd appreciate any operational feedback the
folk here could offer.

Thanks in advance,
-a