[j-nsp] M40e route engines

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Fri Jan 28 14:39:19 EST 2005

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 11:44:36AM -0700, Clinton Work wrote:
> Is the best practice to remove the 128MB installation flash once a
> router goes into production? Leaving the 128MB flash in the RE0 PCMCIA
> slot gave me some problems during a JunOS upgrade last night.

Oh and to answer this one, the common practice is for the external PCMCIA
(or LS120 for RE-1.0 users :P) to contain the install-media image only.
You only want to leave it inserted if you want to install new code,
overwriting everything that existed before. Otherwise the RE runs
primarily off of its internal compact flash, with a small laptop harddrive
(aka the travel-deathstar) being used for logging, crash dumps, and
optional backup images of your compact flash in case of failure.