[j-nsp] Multiple lo0 address or how to backup layer2 services

George Yalamov georgi.yalamov at btc-net.bg
Thu Jul 7 03:59:36 EDT 2005

Hello ,

I have a question about  loopback addresses. Can I have multiple
loopback addresses with different IGP metrics. I'm wonderryng, because I
want to protect layer 2 service (martini tunnel for example).

Imagine something like that:
	      _______
	      |     |
	------|PE1  |-----> MPLS Cloud
	|     |_____|

Ethernet
Layer2 domain
	|     _______
	|     |     |
	------|PE2  |-----> MPLS Cloud
	      |_____|

I terminate customer l2circuit on PE1 I have vc represent  with lo0 "X"
  address and virtual-circuit-id. If PE1 router fails ,L2 domain will
terminate my customer VLAN on PE2. On PE2 I have the same config for
that service but the source  ot the circuit is with PE2,s loopback (lo0
"Y").

If I have on PE2 second loopback address "X" with worst IS-IS metric it
will rise in the routing table because PE1 is dead. It' sounds good but
PE2 still originate this vc with its lo "Y" address.
I didn't find a way to originate LSP with different addresses.

Anyone has any idea or some different way to do l2 service backup via mpls?

Thanks,
George