[j-nsp] Re: verify QoS operation

Rainer Clasen bj at zuto.de
Thu Jul 7 04:57:03 EDT 2005

Guy Davies wrote:
> [...]

Uhhm, sorry for being inprecise. I actually don't care what the
transmitting device did internally. I do want to know how the emitted
packets (having DSCP or mpls-exp set) match in my incoming BA classifier.

> This decision is made at each hop
> and can be based on different models at each hop, particularly if your
> devices support different queueing, scheduling and congestion avoidance
> algorithms.  Assuming that the packets are marked at the ingress to the
> network, you can see the number of packets arriving marked with a
> particular class based on a particular marking (although I don't think
> JUNOS actually records those stats).

jepp, these stat's are exactly what I'm looking for.

> However, this gives absolutely no
> indication of whether the transmitting device is actually queueing and
> scheduling packets appropriately (for some value of "appropriate") since
> you have no idea of the rate at which packets for each class are
> arriving at the transmitting device.  Each device is responsible for the
> QoS of outbound packets.  There is little benefit to implementing QoS
> inbound since the resource has already been utilized by the time you get
> to make a choice whether or not to drop a packet.

You're absolutely right.

It's just that our network crosses some administrative borders - and I
want to check what I'm receiving from another department. Or to put it in
other words: I'm looking for an indication that they're setting the DSCP
properly. Jepp, I can write up a firewall filter + counters to check
this, but it'd be a lot more comfortable to take a quick glance at the
incoming classifer stats ... (which also indicates if my classification
matches their tagging).

Rainer

--
KeyID=759975BD fingerprint=887A 4BE3 6AB7 EE3C 4AE0  B0E1 0556 E25A 7599 75BD