[j-nsp] Re: Junos feature licensing?

Michiel Van Opstal michiel at noc.realroot.com
Fri Jul 15 14:23:14 EDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 08:07:42PM +0200, Daniel Roesen wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 05:28:37PM +0300, Saku Ytti wrote:
> > On (2005-07-15 16:17 +0200), sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:
> >
> > > Juniper now also wants you to pay extra for IPv6, and for using
> > > logical routers. One license for each of these. Yes, this applies
> > > to M7i/M10i. Incredibly bad idea, IMNSHO.
> >
> > I'm all for the idea of 'pay only for the feature you use'.
> > Unfortunately in reality you just seem to pay more.
>
> And that for IPv6, which probably noone will be able to avoid in the
> future. So it's just an early adopter penalty. Or - as you say - just
> charging more thru the backdoor.

This also will reconcider smaller shops like us to buy Cisco alternatives
for the low-end M series we are buying. We had m7i's in mind for our
backbone nodes, and due to this policy it will be changed to the cisco
7304-nse100 as alternative. We just cannot justify this to our management
we need to pay extra license costs for ipv6.

Cheers,
Michiel