[j-nsp] Junos feature licensing?

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Sat Jul 16 00:42:36 EDT 2005

--On July 15, 2005 4:45:18 PM +0200 sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:

>> > Juniper now also wants you to pay extra for IPv6, and for using
>> > logical routers. One license for each of these. Yes, this applies
>> > to M7i/M10i. Incredibly bad idea, IMNSHO.
>>
>> Thank you for bringing this up.
>> This will be a factor in purchasing decisions down the road.
>
> Good. I believe that voting with your wallet is the only thing that
> will work here. We certainly intend to do so.

I know I'll have a hard time recommending Juniper gear until they undo the
licensing mess.  The boxes are already a hefty premium over a number of
comparable alternate vendor configurations (without jumping into solely
software/PC based routers).  So far we're not deploying IPv6 today, but
it's a major concern.  If Juniper networks is going to take this sort of
stance for licensing that, whats next?  OSPF?  BGP?

Yup, that sounds absurd to us, as engineers.  But what does the suit think
about it?

Disconcerting I must say.  I think wallet voting, and complaining
to/through your VARs, Resellers, and Juniper Reps is a really good idea.