[j-nsp] Junos feature licensing?

Lewis, Charles charles_h_lewis at fanniemae.com
Wed Jul 20 18:48:34 EDT 2005

Yes - Cisco has had separate licenses to buy for nonsense like
Interdomain routing, WAN protocols, etc for quite a while.  IOS has not
had any kind of feature activation requirement in years (it briefly
appeared with CiscoPro but was quietly removed shortly thereafter) -
it's the same code whether you bought the license or not.

What this means - among other things - is that if I replace a router in
the field I turn the router on, it boots and continues to do what it
needs to do regardless of whether I've turned on netflow, etc.  On a
J-series box it means that I get a new router and then get the
appropriate license codes from JTAC to hopefully get the features I need
working.  What is *really* horrid is that I can't freely swap interfaces
between the modular chassis.  What if I want to take a 2-port FE out of
one J6300 and put it in another?  If I don't have appropriate licenses
I'm out of luck.  It was at best ill-conceived  selling a J2300 with two
T1 interfaces of which only one is working.

It also means that I have to keep track of license keys - sometimes as
many as three or four per router.  If Juniper wants to sell me hundreds
of routers asking me to track on hundreds and hundreds of keys
associated to serial numbers is a huge issue.  If I need to turn up a
new feature (say deploying route reflection on a couple of boxes) I
can't simply turn it on and buy the license (a la Cisco) but instead I
have to wait for a full procurement process to take place to buy license
keys.  Not good.

This whole situation comes off like Juniper is trying to nickel and dime
us. This is not a good move when you want to sell lots and lots of
devices and, frankly, this *will* be an impediment to their penetration
into the CPE/mid -sized router business.  Their apparent quest for a few
hundred bucks of license revenue in the short term will I have yet to
meet a fellow customer or even a Juniper employee who thinks this
approach is anything but a terrible idea.

CHL