[j-nsp] helper-only mode for graceful-restart

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Mon Jun 6 01:45:53 EDT 2005

Hi,

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Arun Gandhi wrote:
>> AFAICS, JunOS allows either:
>>   1) no graceful-restart, no GR helper mode (default)
>>   2) enabling graceful-restart (and helper mode)
>>
>> What JunOS does _not_ (AFAICS) support is enabling just
>> the helper mode, but not graceful restart.
>
> JunOS allows GR helper mode by default. However, on the contrary, this
> feature can disabled by choice with the config below.
>
> [edit]
> routing-options {
>    graceful-restart {
>        disable;
>    }
> }

Thanks for the heads-up.  I was basing my question on the
documentation, and I should have learned better by now..  Could the
description of the default value for graceful-restart (which is
different than enable or disable) be put somewhere in the
documentation?  E.g., at,

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos72/swconfig72-routing/html/routing-summary23.html
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos72/swconfig72-routing/html/routing-generic-config13.html

It would also be nice to put the description Gary mentioned somewhere.
AFAICS, the users seem to be very confused about GR and GRES, and BCP
on the usage..