[j-nsp] ISIS adjacency on the GigE interface

Johnny Kui jkui88 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 13 16:45:15 EDT 2005

I changed the AFI to 49, and explicitly configured an interface on both sides (instead of "interfaces all" in the protocols section), but the problem still exists.
But if I replaced the M10 with a Cisco router using the same configuration, I can establish adjacency.
Any other thing I can try?

Thanks,
John

Kevin Oberman <oberman at es.net> wrote:
> From: Dave McGaugh
> Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 12:48:24 -0700
> Sender: juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
>
> I'm not an ISO expert, but here goes :)
> You might try changing the AFI from 99 to 49. Some docs I've read
> seem to suggest that the AFI is, among other things responsible for
> defining the addressing format. I'm not sure whether JunOS enforces
> such a thing, but if your addressing structure conflicts with that
> which is defined for AFI 99, it could create problems..

Dave,

You have it right. AFI is the Authority and Format Identifier. 49 is the
"binary local" space and the format is 20 octets. It should be used if
you do not have a ANSI assigned NSAP. 99 is probably bogus, but I can't
find my OLD OSI/GOSIP documentation to confirm it.

>From RFC137:

The only other defined Authority and Format Indicator (AFI) which
leaves sufficient space for both an IPv6 address and TCP port number
is the binary local AFI (49).

So, if you don't have an official NSAP (probably with an AFI of 47), 49
is the one to use. It is 20 octets ling and normally in the format is
written as:
49:xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.00

Note the final 00. This is the selector byte (don't worry what that is)
and should always be 00. It is STRONGLY recommended that something
meaningful be encoded in the 18 available octets. You can fit an IPv6
address in there just fine or do something else. Just as ling as it is
unique in your ISIS fabric.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)