[j-nsp] BGP extended community attribute

Richmond, Jeff (ELI) jeff_richmond at eli.net
Fri Jun 17 12:58:01 EDT 2005

I went through this a while back when I was designing our rollout. My own personal preference was for ip address, using the lo0.0 address. Why? It just makes it nice and easy to identify the originating router when looking at a route and its communities. There are valid reasons for using AS number though too, not the least of which is getting more space for the Administrator variable (2 vs 4 octets, since it requires only 2 octets for AS value versus 4 for IP address).

Regards,
-Jeff