[j-nsp] Cisco 7600 vs. M10i performance tests

michael.firth at bt.com michael.firth at bt.com
Wed Jun 22 12:28:53 EDT 2005

One interesting feature of the test setup is that, according to page
two,
the traffic was connected to 6 ports of a single Cisco 6724 module,
which
is described as a '24-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switching Module
(WS-X6724-SFP)',
while, on the Juniper, it was connected to 6 separate Gigabit PICs.

Doesn't this mean that the Cisco was at least partly acting as a switch,
not
as a router?

It would be interesting to see results with the traffic connected to
ports on
different modules in a Cisco!

Michael

> Raw performance may not be the only criteria.  For instance, we
> do automatic configuration changes whenver a student's machine
> turns into a spam-box.  We also automatically block port 3531
> whenever a student's machine turns into some kind of KaZaa drone
> (peer points exchange?  Doesn't really matter).  Being able to
> make these kinds of changes in an automatic fashion while being
> reasonably confident that the router won't run out of "magic
> memory" is worth a lot.
>
> I tooks hundreds of IPs out of the "port_3531_abusers" prefix-list
> yesterday.
>
> Mike
>
> On Tue, 31 May 2005, Scott Morris wrote:
>
> > Very true.  Given enough time, a test can be modeled to prove the
worth and
> > triumph of either side.  But whose network here runs in any sort of
> > contrived, concocted and predictable fashion anyway???
> >
> > Try 'em both in your own environment!
> >
> > Scott

"http://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/juniper-nsp"juniper-nsp-bounces
at puck.nether.net <mailto:HYPERLINK > ] On Behalf Of Erik Haagsman