[j-nsp] Network configuration question / vlan and bridging related

Lars Erik Gullerud lerik at nolink.net
Thu Jun 23 19:31:21 EDT 2005

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, Steinar Torsvik wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Niels Bakker wrote:
>> Get an ERX with local-proxy-arp and treat 'em all as private VLANs.
>
> This is partly a solution i am hoping for. You say here "get an erx" -
> according to http://www.juniper.net/products/junos/105021.html the
> functionality is included in the M series router we already have, is
> there any reason for you advising another Juniper product?

proxy-arp is not the feature Niels is referring to - i.e. proxy-arp is
not quite the same as local-proxy-arp. You need something that supports a
shared IP interface and a local-proxy-arp style mechanism to do this.
An ERX-310 for instance will work nicely for your type of setup. The
M-series are pretty flexible all-round boxes but they are (currently) not
really suited for BRAS-type setups, which the E-series do very well.

/leg