[j-nsp] M7i bandwidth shaping

Markus universe at truemetal.org
Sun Jun 26 17:33:56 EDT 2005

Hi,

my first post to the list. Our recently ordered M7i will arrive in a few
days and we intend to replace a FreeBSD i386-based router with it.
There's a customer that utilizes 100 Mbit/s (full-duplex) of bandwidth
and by using "dummynet" in FreeBSD we're spreading this bandwidth
equally among his 50 directly connected servers. Each server has only 1
IP address assigned, thus each server receives 2 Mbit/s (full-duplex)
guaranteed at all times, but can burst up to 100 Mbit/s (only in case
all other 49 servers wouldn't be doing any network activity).

dummynet/ipfw can also be configured so as to match MAC addresses
instead of IP addresses for shaping. This would allow a customers'
server to have more than 1 IP address assigned and still achieve the
same result as outlined above.

The question is: is this also possible with a M7i? (without any ASMs
etc, only the base config)

A simple yes/no answer would be enough for now. :)

Thanks,
Markus