[j-nsp] Network configuration question / vlan and bridging related

Steinar Torsvik steinar at fasthost.no
Sun Jun 26 20:45:11 EDT 2005

Hi,

Steinar Torsvik wrote:

>>proxy-arp is not the feature Niels is referring to - i.e. proxy-arp is
>>not quite the same as local-proxy-arp. You need something that supports
>>a shared IP interface and a local-proxy-arp style mechanism to do this.
>>An ERX-310 for instance will work nicely for your type of setup. The
>>M-series are pretty flexible all-round boxes but they are (currently)
>>not really suited for BRAS-type setups, which the E-series do very well.
>

> So my best bet with this equipment / hardware in place is allocating a
> /30 network to each client?
>
> And maybe in the future with JunOS upgrades we can migrate to this
> solution who is a bit easier to maintain.

I have been trying out some configurations here and are struggeling a
bit - it seems like the M series does not support to act as a DHCP
server. Is there any clever way to get a dhcp server on each
interface/vlan to tell the client its correct ip address?

I am thinking a stupid solution like using a *nix server to bind up all
the vlans and giving away dhcp this way, but there has to be better ways
to go.

What is the list price of a ERX-310 ? Seems like this is a mutch better
bet for this type of setup really...

--
Med vennlig hilsen,

Steinar Torsvik