[j-nsp] Network configuration question / vlan and bridging related

Steinar Torsvik steinar at fasthost.no
Sun Jun 26 22:04:08 EDT 2005

Zoltan A. Ori wrote:
> On Sunday 26 June 2005 20:45, Steinar Torsvik wrote:
>

>>I have been trying out some configurations here and are struggeling a
>>bit - it seems like the M series does not support to act as a DHCP
>>server. Is there any clever way to get a dhcp server on each
>>interface/vlan to tell the client its correct ip address?
>>
>>I am thinking a stupid solution like using a *nix server to bind up all
>>the vlans and giving away dhcp this way, but there has to be better ways
>>to go.
>

> I'm not sure what you mean. I would not want the router to act as a DCHP
> server. The standard way is to keep a separate DHCP server and define the
> needed scopes. Then, use the forwarding-options on the router interface to
> specify the server's address. No magic there.

The problem here is simple. The juniper can forward all dhcp requests to
a separate DHCP server, but how can I make the dhcp server see witch
unit/vlan the request is comming for to distribute the correct ip
address to the client?

Does anyone knows if the Juniper M series supports option 82 to tell
witch vlan/unit the request is coming from?

--
Med vennlig hilsen,

Steinar Torsvik
Fasthost AS