[j-nsp] IPv6 multicast -- stuck in spt-pending

Josef Buchsteiner josefb at juniper.net
Wed Mar 2 02:54:43 EST 2005

Monday, February 28, 2005, 11:18:32 AM, you wrote:

DR> Hi Josef,

DR>  On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 07:40:34AM +0100, Josef Buchsteiner wrote:
 >> once  the  shared  tree  is  equal  to  the spt we will stay in
 >> spt-pending  state which is perfectly ok and not a bug.

DR>  Uhm, how is that perfectly OK? It hangs in a state which should only
DR>  persist until the first packet is received from the (S,G) via the
DR>  correct RPF interface.

     It is normal/OK in the sense that it is implemented this way
     since day one. Since the RPF interface does *not* change the
     (S,G) entry with the information spt-pending is indicating that
     this entry is willing to switch once there is really a different
     RPF interface and this why we save state. It is not causing
     interop. problems and it is not against the RFC...

DR>  This is highly irritating?!?

     Since you know now what it means it should not be irritating
     anymore ;-)