[j-nsp] graceful failover and software upgrades

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Tue Mar 22 17:34:56 EST 2005

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 10:58:07PM +0100, daniel wrote:
> I'll take the action on this one and get it better clarified going
> forward.

Excellent, thanks. And while you're at it, the documentation on how
to enable GR support for ALL protocols could need some serious
clarification:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos71/feature-guide-71/html/fg-graceful-restart6.html#1015325
"Configuring Graceful Restart for All Routing Protocols"

says "applies to all routing protocols, including BGP, IS-IS, OSPF, PIM
sparse mode, RIP, and RIPng."

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos71/feature-guide-71/html/fg-graceful-restart5.html#1014346

This overview lists the "for All Routing Protocols" and pages for any of
the specific protocols BGP, IS-IS, OSPF, PIM-SM and RIP(ng). Which is
the same set listed in above reference in the context of "all [...],
including...".

Now there is a second overview list:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos71/feature-guide-71/html/fg-graceful-restart12.html#1018553
"Configuring Graceful Restart for an MPLS-Related Protocol"

Hm, so MPLS-related protocols are a different story?

In this overview, we see:
# Configuring Graceful Restart for all MPLS-Related Protocols
# Configuring Graceful Restart Options for RSVP, CCC, and TCC
# Configuring Graceful Restart Options for LDP

Looking into the first one, we see the same config snipped (set
routing-options graceful-restart) as in the other overview's "All
protocols" section. Highly irritating.

But now it says "You enable graceful restart functionality with a global
statement that applies to all MPLS-related protocols, including CCC,
LDP, RSVP, and TCC."

So ACTUALLY we have this ONE global "set routing-options
graceful-restart" which enables GR support for _ALL_ "routing-"protocols
(BGP, IS-IS, OSPF, OSPFv3(?), PIM-SM, RIP(ng), RSVP, CCC, TCC, LDP).

To add to all the confusion, we have a third sub-chapter overview
"Configuring VPN Graceful Restart" at
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos71/feature-guide-71/html/fg-graceful-restart16.html#1018656

There, we have a page "Configuring Graceful Restart for All Routing and
MPLS-Related Protocols" which says actually what we should have read
before:
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos71/feature-guide-71/html/fg-graceful-restart16.html#1018656

:-)

IMHO, all this needs to be collapsed to a list like:

# Configuring Graceful Restart for All Routing and MPLS-Related Protocols
# Configuring Graceful Restart Options for BGP
# Configuring Graceful Restart Options for IS-IS
# Configuring Graceful Restart Options for OSPF
# Configuring Graceful Restart Options for RIP and RIPng
# Configuring Graceful Restart Options for PIM Sparse Mode
# Configuring Graceful Restart Options for RSVP, CCC, and TCC
# Configuring Graceful Restart Options for LDP

"Enabling Graceful Restart in the Routing Instance" is somewhat
superfluous if the "Configuring Graceful Restart for All Routing and
MPLS-Related Protocols" would show the option to configure "set
routing-options graceful-restart" also in a routing instance.

BTW, in this chapter, "For Layer 3 VPNs only, you must also configure
graceful restart for all routing and MPLS-related protocols within a
routing instance." is unclear. What does that mean? That if I configure
GR globally in the main instance I also need to enable it in all L3VPN
routing instances?

:-)

Best regards,
Daniel