[j-nsp] M40 and Multilink PPP

Nils Swart nils at tdsdata.net
Mon Mar 28 14:46:10 EST 2005

Hi James & Erdem,

> For MLPPP you need one of the following PIC's:
>
> Link Services PIC
> AS-PIC (Adaptive Services PIC)
>
> I guess this is same for all Juniper M-Series hardware, besides some
> M7i with ASM bundle.

Exactly, since everything related to forwarding of packets is done in
hardware instead of being processed using a CPU, this brings two things to
the table: wire-rate & predictable performance for normal forwarding of
packets, but inflexibility in special processing of packets (IPSEC, GRE,
Multilink PPP).

Service PICs like the Adaptive Service PIC (or onboard module in an M7i as
mentioned by Erdem) solve this. Traffic is sent into an AS-PIC, gets
processed (encrypted, tunneled, stateful firewalled, etc), and comes
back to the packet forwarding engine to be shipped  off to it's final
destination.

(Ps.: Adaptive Services PICs are called adaptive since they can be
programmed to do a variety of stuff, as opposed to an ML-PIC or Encryption
services PIC that can only perform one task; before you go off and buy any
of these, you'd best contact your juniper tech guy to check if you've got
supported hardware)

Regarding performance, Michael's mentioned 800 Mbps is related to tunnel
(GRE,logical/virtual tunnel) capacity only; not to IPSEC,MLPPP or SFW.
(which is about OC-3 worth of bandwidth on the onboard ASM in an M7i)

-Nils